[Libre-silicon-devel] Reminder - next Mumble Session on July 8, 2018 21.00 HKT

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Mon Jul 9 17:33:56 CEST 2018

Hi
The question isn't whether it's royalty free or not.
The question is rather, whether ARM can sue us for breaking the law by using
the AXI4 bus inside our ASICs, which we might also sell to customers the US
government doesn't like. Or plain: Is it free or is it unfree?
Can we use it without patent issues?
Does ARM still require us to get a license from them in order to use it?
If yes we might be in quiet a bit of a trouble here, because we can't
guarantee to fulfill the standard clauses in US export agreements.
We need someone to check before we start developing and selling products based
on this interface.
Not that I worry too much about possible sanctions from the US because we
still have access to the whole Chinese market.
And no one at the border will be able to check, whether these manufacturers
from Shenzhen have soldered our chips onto their PCBs or not.
But ironically my partners from China worry about avoiding legal issues with
the united states.

Cheers
	David