[Libre-silicon-devel] Reminder - next Mumble Session on July 8, 2018 21.00 HKT

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Mon Jul 9 19:07:14 CEST 2018

Hi
> Also did you check Tile-Link/Chip-Link?
Well, here is what I've looked at so far:
*	AXI is backed by a lot of patents backed by US companies.
	I've picked out two[1][2] of the many many patents out there.
*	Wishbone from OpenCores – Free and open bus architecture
	(formerly from Silicore[6])
*	CoreConnect bus technology from IBM, used in IBM's embedded Power
	Architecture products, but also in many other SoC-like systems with the
	Xilinx MicroBlaze or similar cores.
	Which means it's even more evil than AXI
*	IPBus by IDT (Patents ole!)
*	Avalon – proprietary bus system by Altera for use in their Nios II SoCs[5]
*	Open Core Protocol (OCP) from Accellera
*	HyperTransport (HT) from AMD (though this is an off-chip interface,
	not on chip bus)
*	QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) by Intel (though this is an off-chip
	interface, not on chip bus)
*	virtual share from PICC - free and open source
	However, a Google search didn't spit out useful information.
	Apparently it's not so popular
*	Tile-Link/Chip-Link[3] [4] doesn't seem to have been patented yet and seems
	to come from universities and the like.
	Apparently SiFive have been thinking the same thing we've been thinking.

Candidates now are:
*	Wishbone
*	Tile Link
*	PICC

I'm open for suggestions where we should go from here.
I'd say we should rather use TileLink, because there is already support for it
in rocket-core.
We can just throw out AXI4 and have no potential patent issues anymore

Cheers
	David

[1] https://patents.google.com/patent/US7069376B2
[2] https://patents.google.com/patent/US20050138253