[Libre-silicon-devel] ARM starts campaign against RISC-V?

Staf Verhaegen staf at fibraservi.eu
Mon Jul 9 23:09:52 CEST 2018

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton schreef op ma 09-07-2018 om 21:33 [+0100]:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 8:34 PM, ludwig jaffe <ludwig.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  i believe that a better strategy is to make products that people who
> know their shit will want to buy.  thanks to people now *knowing* that
> there are spying back-door co-processors in the computers that they're
> buying, they *will* jump at the opportunity to buy ones that are sold
> as being "without spying backdoors" if they're available...
>
>  ... but if you're running lying deceptive underhanded smear-tactics
> campaigns there's actually a good chance that those people will look
> at your products and go "wtf?? i can't trust these people *either*,
> they're liars as well!!!"
>
>  l.

Fully agree, to me the best way to react is just to keep on doing what
you are doing and make the RISC-V ecosystem better; not trying to let
you be dragged into their campaign/war.
One of the reasons that Linux has won the UNIX war is that you had
companies like Red Hat and projects like Slackware and Debian that just
kept on making the Linux ecosystem better. And they did not led them be
dragged into FUD campaigns started by the big UNIX vendors of that time
like SUN, HP, IBM, SCO, ...
You know what Mahatma Gandhi has said: First they ignore, then they
laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Seems we have already entered the fight phase.

greets,
Staf.