[Libre-silicon-devel] Some questions regarding the NVDLA and "NVIDIA Open NVDLA License and Agreement v1.0"

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Mon Jul 16 21:00:20 CEST 2018

Hi manili

> Thanks for the reply.
You'r welcome :-)

> Ok let’s start step by step:
> 1. If I understood right, what you mean by “software” is/are A) whole
> software stack (i.e drivers, compilers and etc.) and B) front-end (i.e. the
> RTL, synthesizing scripts and etc.). So these things are all under the
> license. As a result is it possible to modify these things and relicense
> them?
RTL isn't covered under the license.
Can't be, because it's RTL, which is a technology specific implementation
which can not be protected under a copyright anymore.

> 2. So you are right, there is nothing about the back-end (i.e. transistors
> layout). So if your team at HK try to create a libre, royalty-free layout
> scheme for NVDLA from scratch it will result in a legal issue for you?
That's the whole key issue.
We can't legally build their IP cores with the LibreSilicon process and sell
it within our products and then provide the GDS2 files and ALF layout files on
GitHub

> 3. Sorry I’m a little confused, the issue is about what currently “IS" in
> the license file or about what currently "IS NOT” in the license file?
No reason to be confused.
They could have take the MIT or Apache license (not the GPL because that would
have tainted the issue with the unfree IP cores).
Their IP cores are not Libre. In fact their silicon is unfree AF.
Very simple. Their silicon is *not* Libre.
The fact that they had to introduce a new license which doesn't collide with
their unfree IP proofs it.