[Libre-silicon-devel] Some questions regarding the NVDLA and "NVIDIA Open NVDLA License and Agreement v1.0"

Staf Verhaegen staf at fibraservi.eu
Tue Jul 17 21:14:14 CEST 2018

David Lanzendörfer schreef op di 17-07-2018 om 03:00 [+0800]:
> > Ok let’s start step by step:
> > 1. If I understood right, what you mean by “software” is/are A)
> > whole
> > software stack (i.e drivers, compilers and etc.) and B) front-end
> > (i.e. the
> > RTL, synthesizing scripts and etc.). So these things are all under
> > the
> > license. As a result is it possible to modify these things and
> > relicense
> > them?
>
> RTL isn't covered under the license.
> Can't be, because it's RTL, which is a technology specific
> implementation
> which can not be protected under a copyright anymore.

I think this statement is not right. RTL code like VHDL and Verilog is
technology independent and do fall under copyright law. AFAIK, it's the
GDSII, masks and chips fall under another regime.
I'm no expert but I do think this means that if you buy a chip, you may
reverse engineer the chip and then make your own version without
needing to obey the license of the RTL of the original chip. If you use
the RTL of the original chip you need to obey it's license.

greets,
Staf.