[Libre-silicon-devel] Pearl River, demo board

Hagen SANKOWSKI hsank at posteo.de
Wed Jul 18 12:34:43 CEST 2018

Hello David.

Well, to connect a LED to a output pad *outside* the chip is quite easy.
The pad should able to drive a current of round about 10..20 mA, with
voltage higher than the LED threshold voltage.

I already thought about an Open Drain output driver, which is quite
useful for driving LEDs even with lower supply voltages than the LED
threshold. Another topic is a bipolar output driver (aka BiCMOS)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BiCMOS with higher current capabilities.

The other think, we *can not* do, is implementing a LED *on chip*.
The brightness of different colors of LEDs resulting from different
materials, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#Colors_and_materials

And yes, all this thoughts belongs to the documentation / wiki ;-)

Regards,
Hagen.