[Libre-silicon-devel] Pearl River, demo board

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Wed Jul 18 20:26:10 CEST 2018

Hello Hagen

> Well, to connect a LED to a output pad *outside* the chip is quite easy.
> The pad should able to drive a current of round about 10..20 mA, with
> voltage higher than the LED threshold voltage.
Of course I ment outside! On a PCB!
The idea would be that we flip chip mount our Pearl River onto a PCB and
solder some LEDs onto the PCB, so that we can demonstrate that it blinks.
Maybe a ring-counter or so?

> I already thought about an Open Drain output driver, which is quite
> useful for driving LEDs even with lower supply voltages than the LED
> threshold. Another topic is a bipolar output driver (aka BiCMOS)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BiCMOS with higher current capabilities.
>
> The other think, we *can not* do, is implementing a LED *on chip*.
> The brightness of different colors of LEDs resulting from different
> materials, see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#Colors_and_materials
>
> And yes, all this thoughts belongs to the documentation / wiki
Ok! I will put it there!
I'm totally aware that we can't build LEDs just yet.
For that we would have to drastically modify the recent process.
Already implementing the flash cells will be challenge on its own, because it
will require another nitride layer deposition step after the gate oxide
deposition step in most simplistic approach case.

Cheers
	David