[Libre-silicon-devel] GoFundMe campaign for the clean room

Éger Ferenc eegerferenc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 20:04:02 CEST 2019

Hello,

"Hi, are there chips that can be done quite quickly that have a market?": I
feel that the problem here is not the possible market: we are now in a very
preliminarier-than-preliminary stage of chip-making and chip-design. The
555 was chosen as a target not only because of its symbolic perspective,
but because this is what can be now done quickly with the knowledge,
tooling and resources we have right now, and still can "blink and beep".
For example, USBtoIEEE488 would require a USB device controller with
significant complexity (data buffers, state machines, endpoint management),
and implementing the USB stack needs at least a small MCU (that is complex
in itself), not to mention the clock generation, clock-recovery PLLs,
high-speeed transcievers etc. needed for USB PHY. Developing this would
take at least months of simulation only for the logic (and maybe much more
when we consider the analog and mixed-signal part, not to mention the
validation...). And I'm pretty sure that implementing an USB device core on
silicon will bring in the patent lawyers from USB-IF
 and virtually all IP core vendors...

Regards,
Ferenc