[Libre-silicon-devel] Fwd: GitHub and Trade Controls

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jul 26 22:54:14 CEST 2019

On Saturday, July 27, 2019, Mohammad Amin Nili <manili.devteam at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is not my question Luke. My question is “Why U.S. gov could restrict
> open source community?!

Because the US trade war does not care if you are a Libre Developer or not.

It does not care if the person maintains software that circumvents
opression in that country.

> This is exactly oppose to the intention of making things open!

Profits do not care.

Now you get to fully appreciate the consequences of depending on
monopolistic and centralised power.

You think things changed at all? Microsoft Window was a monopoly, a
dominant monoculture, and now they bought github, that is a dominant
monoculrure too.

When will people get it through their thick heads to stop using centralised
resources??

> How could you trust Mr.Trump to not ban another country one day?”

Yep.

> The Libresilicon is using GitHub for hosting the code, what would happen
> if they change their policy one day and then we can not deliver the product
> to Chinese for example?

Or if HK bring considered part of China, libresilicon gets cut off entirely
from github as well.

The shit hits the fan basicslly.

I _have_ been warning people for several years. They of course laughed and
were extremely vicious and spiteful.

L.

--
---