[Libre-silicon-devel] Fwd: GitHub and Trade Controls

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Jul 27 23:07:00 CEST 2019

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 9:41 PM ludwig jaffe <ludwig.jaffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> So if github will be shut down or unreachable we will deploy gitlab or something similar on different machines in the world.
> The advantage of git: I one cloned the repo the bug is out an the one can judt open a new git server and git is open source.
> If you believe in moon Nazis, they also can host git if they exist and have the means.
> So nothing to worry about.

 this is what most people believe.  the issue is not "worry", it's
"time" and "convenience".  git is *not* an issue tracker, or a mailing
list, or an IRC channel, or a mumble session, or a project management
/ coordination replacement.

 also, git is *not* distributed, it's *replicable*.  you have to take
*manual action* to "distribute" it.  this is a quirk / ambiguity in
the english language regarding the word "distributed".

> Open source is free as in freedom and git has no central entity that can be blocked to block the project.
> Gitlab is an open source replacemen with webbrowser support and looks a bit different.

 the moment that you set up a website it becomes (a) a pain in the ass
to maintain (b) a centralised single point of failure.

 i wrote about what a truly distributed project management "suite"
using *properly* distributed git tools would look like, as far back as
2008.

 https://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=14448834&cid=58995278

l.