[Libre-silicon-devel] Fwd: GitHub and Trade Controls

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Jul 28 10:35:16 CEST 2019

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 5:38 AM David Lanzendörfer
<leviathan at libresilicon.com> wrote:

> Dear Zhiyang
>
> > G'Day contributors of the Libre-silicon project,
> >   Thank you so much for supporting Dr./Mr. Mohammad Amin Nili, and
> > others, who can have their access to GitHub (not just the
> > Libre-silicon project repository) or another source-code-hosting
> > facility restricted.
> The main motivator, where we had to start relocating our infrastructure is,
> that it always was a pain during meetings with partners in 深圳 to present the
> project on the projector, because the website libresilicon.com was originally
> hosted on GitHub, so I had enough and moved it.
> And every time I wanna hack around a bit in the StarBucks in Moko center until
> my friends come (Shopping park station close to 福田) I encountered the problem,
> that I could not reliably git pull/git push (especially when pulling bigger
> changes), so I always had to do a git pull, before I crossed the check point.

david: if you get a Pokefi, and you always remain within the Huaqiang
Bay Special Economic Zone, it connects directly at ISO Layer 2 to Hong
Kong based cell tower infrastructure... *not* to China-based 3G/4G
infrastructure.

consequently it is... "unrestricted".... :)

even here in Shenkeng (near New Taipei City) the ISP is a bit... shit
(no censorship: just... shit), ports get blocked accidentally,
including ssh and OpenVPN.  mosh, interestingly, being low-traffic,
tends to get left alone.

so, *sigh*, i have had to set up a special single link openvpn config
and change the port number on a regular basis.

it would be really helpful if openvpn included the XOR patch that is
used in china a lot (it gets rid of the deep packet inspection
detection).

l.