[Libre-silicon-devel] Analog Try-out "triple-5"

Hagen SANKOWSKI hsank at posteo.de
Sun Mar 3 20:13:09 CET 2019

Hello List.

Today in our weekly Mumble Session we talked about a smaller chip, which
could be realized before the Northpoint.

The Reason is mostly, that the Northpoint (as an small MCU) - beside the
Standard Cells - also has some challenging Analog Stuff (like the ADC,
Pad-Cells) which set the hurdle a little bit high.

We need some physical haptic fancy / shiny silicon before which gives us
also a realistic way to verify our simulation after model measurement we
do with PearlRiver. Something we could hand over to other people and
which blinks..

Well, we came across the well-known "triple-5 chip". The original NE555
[0] was developed by the Swiss electronics engineer Hans Camenzind [1]
and get cloned by nearly all silicon firms on the market in this era.
Great starting points for our CMOS-based clone are the wikipedia site
and the free eBook [2] of the original author. I strongly recommend
everybody to read this great book!

Mostly the 555 chips are in the -55 to +125 C temperature range - the
same we assume for our technology. And the voltage supply goes up to +18
Volt, I already saw 555 which worked with higher voltage. If we like, we
could using our BiCMOS feature for the output driver - driving the same
current with less power consumption.

The 555 chip has a legendary status between electronic engineers, radio
amateurs and tinkers. And some of them writing obeisance on hackaday.com
still in 2018 [3]. Many variations of the chip are still in production.
Short - the 555 would be a great try-out for LibreSilicon! And I am
proud to announce that Ferenc will be our Lead for the "LS 555"
(LibreSilicon triple-5). Thanks Ferenc for your commitment!

Regards,
Hagen.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Camenzind