[Libre-silicon-devel] Maskless lithography

Pavel Nikulin pavel at noa-labs.com
Sun Feb 23 18:50:07 CET 2020

David,

You can't produce EUV with anything made of solid matter. Even DUV and
Fluorine lasers (157nm) get absorbed way too enthusiastically. This is
why Fluorine litho sank on arrival, and the industry stayed on 193nm.
Switching to 157nm was requiring a change of material technology
comparable to EUV, but long term gains were not in 157nm's favour.

Both 157nm and EUV can make 25nm feature sizes, but that's only a
small increment over 30-35 nm what a typical DUV system can do with
immersion. The industry still went EUV because tech transition with it
would ease future transition to Xray litho, which would also rely on
similar resist chemistry and vacuum.